Friday, August 25, 2006

Delgado and Green

David Picker at The NY Times writes about Carlos Delgado and Shawn Green onGreens first game with the Mets:

Shawn Green and Carlos Delgado have been close friends since their days in the minors, and they share numerous memories that are worth a few chuckles. There was the time Delgado, out of necessity, taped a yarmulke to his bald head at Green’s wedding. At Delgado’s wedding, he made Green salsa dance.

Each time Green stepped into the batter’s box, the 45,497 fans warmly greeted him.

“It’s the most fun I had playing baseball in a long time,” said Green, who waived his no-trade clause to come to New York. “There’s so much energy here. And I’m playing with this ball club, guys on base all the time. It’s going to be a great experience.”

“I almost felt like a rookie again,” Green said. “But at the plate, I felt real good. I was seeing the ball and I definitely felt I had a little extra focus.”

In the clubhouse, Green was asked to share a funny memory he had of Delgado. “I have stories,” Green said with a smile,” but I don’t want Carlos to get mad at me on the first day.”

No comments: