Sunday, March 05, 2006

Mets Fans: The Next Generation



One of the best parts of being a Mets fan, or for that matter, being a fan of any sports team, is being able to share that love with your children. My dad and grandpa shared their love of the Mets with me, but they grew up Giants fans, coming over to the Mets after the Giants moved to San Francisco. Therefore, I was the "first generation" Mets fan in my family, and Jonathan was the same in his family (although older brother Ben beat him to it by a few years). Two years ago, the best part of spring training was seeing Jonathan's son, my nephew, Matthew, have such a great time, including getting a signed ball from Mike Cameron. Although my neice, Julia, couldn't join us that day, the picture above certainly shows where HER loyalties lay. Remember - both of these amazing kids are growing up in Florida, land of the Marlins, and it would be a lot easier to just be Marlins fans (although being in Jonathan's house, that's probably not so realistic!) Here's to the next generation of Mets fans- we owe it to them to ensure that the history of our club is passed on to them, but let's try to leave out 1974 - 1984, okay?

No comments: