Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Green wants in

Anthony Rieber at Newsday writes about Shawn Green and his excitement about coming to New York:

Since Shawn Green had the right to veto Tuesday's trade to the Mets, you have to believe him when he says "I'm real excited" about coming to New York.

All year I've been really impressed with what the Mets have," Green said Wednesday in a conference call. "I've always felt throughout the season they have something special and I'm really excited and honored to be part of it."

"It's not like I'm going to come there and be the answer," Green said. "They have a great mix. I'm just hoping to be a piece of the puzzle. I'm definitely in the latter part of my career. In some ways it's been strange for me. When things click for me, they really click. If things can click and all of a sudden I get in a home run groove, I've had some pretty good groves in the past."

Green is also under contract for next season, which can only increase the chances that Floyd will be allowed to leave as a free agent. Floyd is rehabbing in Port St. Lucie, Fla., but has not started playing in games yet.

Milledge is starting in right tonight with Chavez in left against Cardinals lefty Mark Mulder. Of Milledge, Randolph said Green's presence would "obviously cut into some of his playing time, but he'll continue to play a little bit."

No comments: