Friday, September 22, 2006

Delgado is one of the cogs


Bryan Hoch at Mets.com writes about Carlos Delgado and how he is a major part of the Mets:

Delgado was a major reason why the Mets were a better team in 2006, both on the field and off.

Acquired from the Florida Marlins in November for three young players, including first baseman Mike Jacobs, Delgado was pursued by the Mets after the 2004 season but decided instead to sign with Florida, citing the team's proximity to his Puerto Rico home as one deciding factor.

"It's ironic, because it's been a fantastic year as a team," Delgado said. "But I felt like I could do better. For two months, I didn't do [anything], you know? But you understand that sometimes it happens. I don't complain, and I don't make excuses. I've had better years, and I've had worse years. I guess that's the best way I could sum it up."

"He always has that knack for getting the big hit, and he just smells out RBIs, but in the clubhouse, he's just been phenomenal," third baseman David Wright added. "His presence and leadership, the way he stays even-keeled. You'd never know if he was hitting .200 or .350, the way he goes about his business and puts the team first."

"He's been an anchor in one of the best lineups in the game," Wright said. "He creates a lot of late-inning matchup problems, being a left-handed power hitter. The times he's gotten hot, he puts the team on his shoulders and carries us through it."

No comments: