Thursday, September 14, 2006

Lock him up now


With two perfect innings tossed last night Aaron Heilman has lowered his ERA to 3.65 and picked up the win to even his record out to 4-4 on the year.

Aaron never ceases to amaze me in the sense that when you think he has thrown in the towel on being a starter and gets down on himself over being in the pen, he comes up with crucial outings for the Mets. I was thinking we could have used him as a trading chip during the off season. But I have slowly been changing my mind. If he agrees to it I would say that the Mets lock him up on a multi year deal as soon as possible. When Duaner Sanchez and Juan Padilla come back next season I would have to argue that we would have one of the best, if not the best, pen in the league.

So I say keep the kid around for the long haul. Have faith that he will get adjusted to the Bullpen and realize that he is a greater asset to the team as the main set up man than the fourth or fifth starter.

No comments: